You might have spotted white vinegar in the kitchen at some point, but apple cider vinegar, not so much. This simple ingredient, widely embraced by health aficionados in the west, has the ability to transform your health in ways you couldn’t imagine. Why not make the most of it?
Apple cider vinegar or ACV has been around since 400 BC. It’s said that the father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, used and recommended it as a healing tonic to resolve a gamut of health issues. Most bottles of apple cider vinegar will last five to six years or more, if kept in a cool, dry pantry. Look for the expiry date to check how long its flavour and consistency will remain intact.
Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
The best part about ACV is that this humble solution can be used for almost anything—from skin health to overall health, home cleaning even. It greatly helps with modern day dilemmas like obesity and cholesterol. Let’s take a look.
1. Helps In Weight Loss: One of the simplest and best benefits of ACV is that it helps you shed excess weight. This is because the acetic acid conquers your appetite, boosts metabolism, and reduces water retention. It also regulates blood sugar levels. Scientists believe that apple cider vinegar inhibits the body’s ability to digest starch, which means you won’t be reaching for French fries anymore.
2. Helps Balance Your System: If you’re eating more wrong than right, your system might be too acidic owing to fatty, greasy foods. Higher acid levels lead to fatigue and make you more susceptible for infection. Apple cider vinegar helps maintain a healthy alkaline pH level.
3. Tackles Cholesterol: Recent research highlights apple cider vinegar and its ability to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
4. Clears Congestion: Next time your nose feels clogged and stuffy from a cold, have some apple cider vinegar. Why? Because it contains potassium, which dilutes mucus, and acetic acid, which prevents the further spread of germs.
5. Relieves A Sore Throat: Since most germs can’t tolerate the acidic environment of vinegar, as soon as you feel the onset of a sore throat, use the germ-tackling benefits of apple cider vinegar to help with the infection.
6. Reduces Nighttime Leg Cramps (Muscle Spasms): Leg cramps indicate the lack of potassium. Since apple cider vinegar is high in it, it’s advised that you consume it every night before bed if you tend to experience leg cramps.
7. Keeps You Feeling Fresh: What’s more, apple cider vinegar contains potassium and other enzymes that may relieve that feeling of exhaustion.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar
For Weight Loss: ACV is not a quick-fix solution for weight loss, but it does support a weight-loss diet, making it more effective. The best way to consume it is to add two teaspoons in a glass of water (no need to add sugar or any other sweetener). Have a glassful twice a day, before or after meals, as you’d prefer.
To Clear Cold-Related Congestion: Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink it up to help with sinus drainage.
For A Sore Throat: Mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup warm water, and gargle every hour or so.
To Beat Leg Cramps: Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (no more) with one teaspoon honey in a glass of warm water; mix well and sip slowly.
For Energy: Add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to a glass of chilled vegetable juice or to a glass of water, and enjoy the drink to beat fatigue.
There you have it—all the fabulous health benefits of apple cider vinegar in a couple of teaspoons. Make sure you purchase a reliable, organic brand to boost your health most simply.