Being in your 20s is awesome, but if you’re on the wrong side of 25 and single, it’s as though the world views you in a different light. You are the hot topic of discussion — analysed like a rare species at every family gathering and social event. The most common, universally annoying question you gotta face is, “Why are you still single?”
And that’s not all. “Did someone break your heart?”… “Do you want me to find you someone?”… “But you are so pretty and smart”… If you, too, are showered with these endless questions, we truly understand your frustration.
Being questioned about your life choices and singledom might make you want to punch ’em in the face. It’s 2018, people — being single is on-trend!
However, the fact is that you can’t go around changing what every person thinks or says about you. So the next time you’re put in a spot, keep your chin up and handle it with sass.
Here are some witty comebacks for when people ask: why are you still single?
(1) I am single because I didn’t find a mate who would come drama-free.
(2) Because I am so busy swiping right on Tinder.
(3) Well I’m just waiting for <insert celebrity name> to divorce their better half, y’know?
(4) My Facebook relationship status says ‘it’s complicated’ and I intend to keep it that way.
(5) Single? Me? Oh, no. I am dating myself, full-time.
(6) I am not into humans, to be honest.
(7) The doctor told me to stay single… ishq meri sehat ke liye acha nahi hai.
(8) The astrologer said the one I will marry is not even born yet. Psst… I’m into younger people anyway!
(9) Because I am celebrating my awesomeness and nobody deserves me (duh).
(10) Because marriage is fun — said no one ever.
All these responses are just for laughs, guys, so keep it funny and light-hearted when you drop these lines. After all, you don’t want to go around offending anyone. Try and take things with a pinch of salt and if something upsets you, just shake it off and move on.
Whether you like being single or are just waiting for the right person to come along, give yourself as much time as you need. Remember that you are the author of the story of your life.
Which one of these comebacks is your favourite? If you have any other clever ones, please share the wisdom in the comments below.
Image Credit: Cinestaan